Sunday, September 26, 2010

Corn on the Cob and Roast Beef





I found a recipe for cooking corn on the cob and it called for boiling it in salted water.  Then I found a bunch of comments that said if you boil the sweet corn in salted water, the kernels will be tough.  I continued searching and found instructions from people in "corn country"!  I tried it last night and it was amazing!  You put two tbsp. of sugar and two tbsp. of vinegar in the water (I used cider vinegar; it didn't specify), bring it to a boil, and then add the corn.  Bring the water back to a boil, cover the pan, remove the covered pan from the heat.  The corn will be ready in three to five minutes.  YUM!


My boyfriend found a recipe for cooking a beef roast rare.  I usually use an eye round roast.  In fact, I'm cooking a seven pound eye round now.  Put the roast, fat side up, on a rack in a dry pan (I cover my pan with foil so cleanup is easier).  Shake dry seasonings on the outside (I use Mrs. Dash regular and sometimes a little worcestershire sauce and lemon pepper).   Insert a meat thermometer.  Cook at 200 degrees until the meat thermometer reads 140 or 145 degrees (for rare), then turn up the temperature to 500 degrees for ten minutes.  Take the roast out and let it sit for ten to 15 minutes.  At that time it will be ready to slice.

1 comment:

  1. Mmmmm, roast beef. Mmm. I'm one of those people who loves salt but not on corn--the sweetness of the corn itself is just amazing, specially when you just got it from some little roadside stand and it smells green and lush when you steam it.

    Dammit, now I want to be cooking.

    ReplyDelete