Sunday, October 31, 2010

Halloween

Today is Halloween, and I am not a fan.  I was a fan when my girls were little.  I loved to make their costumes and take them trick or treating.  Now that the kids are older, they make their own plans.  Essentially, that means that I am here handing out candy.  Well, I would be handing out candy if I bought some and answered the door.  There will be none of that.  Instead, I will be out and about or sitting in a darkened room with my laptop and/or television.  I will admit to pricing candy.  The good stuff is ridiculously expensive.  That coupled with the fact that I made an error in my checkbook means no candy.  At least my error didn't cause me to bounce any checks.  Personally, I don't like dressing up for Halloween.    I enjoy seeing little ones in their outfits.  The other irritating thing about this evening is that teenagers seem to feel the need to go door to door begging for candy whether they are dressed up or not.  As a high school teacher, I find that exceptionally annoying.  Well, enough of this rant.  I'm getting dressed and heading out to run errands.

2 comments:

  1. At home in WV I had a strict no costume, no candy policy. Every once in awhile a kid would have some suitably creative and amusing response to what he was supposed to be that I'd give out a piece. Then, I worked in a haunted house for a few years. But it had t'be really good. Now, I sit in my apartment watching Eureka and doing homework.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Man, I love Halloween. I love the idea of a night that serves as a bridge between worlds. I'm a fan of scary story reading in graveyards, and dressing up (partly to celebrate your costume interpretation of yourself, partly to disguise yourself from vengeful monsters), and while most of the year I can't stand the sticky stuff Hershey's bills as chocolate, once a year it actually does taste good to me.

    ReplyDelete